MessageMedia will at all times endeavor to act in the best interests of our clients, and we are committed to ensuring the safety and privacy of all information held within our company.
Founder and Director
MessageMedia is a specialist provider of SMS communications services for small business, government and major corporations. Founded in 2000, MessageMedia is a global SMS solutions provider, with over 18,000 business clients from Coca-Cola Amatil & ANZ Bank to your local hairdresser.
The provision of personal information assists MessageMedia to deliver a more personalised service to you, and it is for this primary reason that we make information related requests.
2. Collection of Information
- A user’s name and contact details (including postal address, telephone & fax numbers and email addresses);
- Credit Card or bank account details of users wishing to pay their account via credit card or direct debit; and
- Other details relating to the company or organisation that the user is an employee of, or is administering the MessageMedia account on behalf of, if that information is reasonably necessary for our activities.
MessageMedia does not store users credit card information. MessageMedia substitutes the credit card details with a PCI compliant token to safeguard your details and provide you with the maximum level of security.
MessageMedia also stores information that our clients collect from their customers and staff, or any other contacts that users have in their contact list in our online portal.
This is an example of the type of personal information we collect through our clients:
- Mobile number;
- Other contact details, like email address.
MessageMedia collects information from users when information is:
- Entered by users online via our website or client portal;
- Faxed or emailed to our offices;
- Sent via conventional post; and
- Collected over the telephone.
Clients may also upload personal information in a number of ways to our system, including;
- Uploading a spreadsheet of individuals contact details;
- Via an API integration with our messaging gateway;
- Through manual data entry with our online portal.
- MessageMedia is the sole user of the information collected from our clients; and
- We do not use, share, sell or rent this information in any way.
3. Links & Cookies
We use Google Analytics, Bing ads, Google AdWords Conversion tracker, and other services that place cookies on a browser across the website. These cookies help us increase the website’s effectiveness for our visitors. These cookies are set and read by third parties. We use Google and Bing Webmasters, data from Google Analytics Demographics, Interest Reporting and third party audience data to help us understand how people find and use our site. This data is used to provide better services and more relevant content to our users based on demographic and interest data.
We also use Remarketing with Google Analytics to advertise online including the Google Adwords tracking cookie. This means we will continue to show ads to you across the Internet, specifically on the Google Display Network (GDN). As always, we respect your privacy and are not collecting any identifiable information through the use of Google’s or any other third party remarketing system. Using the Ads Settings, visitors can opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising and customize Google Display Network ads. You can opt out of Bing ads within Bing profile settings.
We and our third-party vendors, including Google, use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) together to:
- Inform, optimise, and serve ads based on your past visits to our website; and
- Find out how ad impressions, ad services, and your interactions with these ad impressions and ad services are related to visits to our site.
4. Trial Users
5. Purpose of Collection and Sensitive Information
MessageMedia collects information from users in order to provide a quality SMS service, and to perform related administrative and billing support. We also use data from Google Analytics Demographics, Interest Reporting and third party audience data to help us understand how people find and use our site. This data is used to provide better services and more relevant content to our users based on demographic and interest data
We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes connected with our business operations, which include to:
- verify your identity;
- facilitate provision of our products and services to you;
- address or respond to any requests from you;
- inform you of existing and proposed products and services which we provide;
- develop and improve the quality and scope of the products and services we provide, and seek your feedback;
- handling complaints and disputes;
- detecting, investigating and preventing fraud;
- provide you with access to protected areas of our website;
- assess the performance of the website and to improve the operation of the website;
- conduct business processing functions including providing personal information to our related bodies corporate, contractors, service providers or other third parties;
- undertake administrative activities, marketing (including direct marketing), planning, product or service development, quality control and research, including by us and our related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers;
- to provide your updated personal information to our related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers;
- update our records and keep your contact details up to date; and
- comply with any law, rule, regulation, lawful and binding determination, decision or direction of a regulator, or in co-operation with any governmental authority.
Your personal information may be used so that we, our wholly owned subsidiaries, agents and contractors can provide you with information about our products and services (including by way of direct mail, telemarketing, email, SMS and MMS) or to request your feedback for promotional purposes. You always have the right to opt-out of receiving such information. You may exercise that right by contacting us. Refer Section 12 below for contact information.
We may also use your personal information for purposes related to those described above which would reasonably be expected by you.
We will not use your information for purposes other than those described above unless we have your consent or as permitted by law (including for law enforcement or public health and safety reasons).
In addition to the sources of information referred to above, MessageMedia also collects information relating to the use of our various services (including product usage, system and log files) in order to further enhance the performance and development of our SMS products.
MessageMedia does not collect sensitive information from users such as information relating to a person’s race, religion, beliefs or sexual preferences, and any attempt by MessageMedia or its agents to collect such information should be reported to MessageMedia’s Privacy Officer immediately (contact details appear in Section 12 below).
6. Message Content & Third Party Information
MessageMedia also stores the content of the messages sent by all users. MessageMedia does this in order to be able to answer your queries, troubleshoot issues and ensure compliance with your contract and relevant laws. This information is treated as strictly confidential and is not accessible by users, or by MessageMedia staff members without the prior consent of the administrator of the MessageMedia account.
Furthermore, any information owned by users that is stored within MessageMedia infrastructure, including users customer or staff databases, is also treated as strictly confidential and is not accessible by users, or by MessageMedia staff members without the prior consent of the administrator of the MessageMedia account.
7. Use and Disclosure
MessageMedia treats information collected from users as strictly confidential. However, information may be disclosed to third parties in the following circumstances:
- Where the user has consented to disclosure;
- Where MessageMedia is permitted or required by law to disclose, or it is in the interests of public safety to do so;
- Where the disclosure is to a law enforcement agency, government agency, court or external adviser and MessageMedia is permitted or required by law to do so;
- Where MessageMedia is of the belief that the user has breached obligations under Section 6 of our Terms and Conditions;
We also may disclose your personal information to:
- our employees, related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers for the purposes of operation of our website or our business, fulfilling requests by you, and to otherwise provide services to;
- suppliers and other third parties with whom we have commercial relationships, for business, marketing, and related purposes; and
- others in accordance with a request made by you;
- our related companies and business partners; and
- persons engaged in providing us with professional, business, technology and corporate services, when reasonably required (including, without limitation, web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants).
When making such a disclosure we will take reasonable steps to ensure that the recipient is bound by privacy obligations.
We will not disclose your sensitive information for any purpose, other than the purpose for which it was collected unless you otherwise consent.
If you do not wish to receive any information relating to promotions, new services and features offered by MessageMedia, please contact MessageMedia’s Support team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1800 009 767.
8. Security of User Information
MessageMedia takes all reasonable steps to protect user information from misuse, interference, loss and from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure. MessageMedia’s websites and internal information management systems are designed with the aim of preventing user information from being disclosed by any unauthorised means. However, MessageMedia users should note that the inherent nature of the Internet is such that the security of information cannot be guaranteed 100%.
Where MessageMedia no longer needs your information, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify that information.
9. Access and Correction of User Information
MessageMedia will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information collected, used or disclosed is accurate, complete and up to date. Users have the right to access information held by MessageMedia that directly concerns the user. If this information is not accurate, complete and up to date, users may make a request to modify information. To make such a request, please contact MessageMedia’s Support team at email@example.com or call 1800 009 767. Generally, MessageMedia will not charge a fee for providing access to users, however we reserve our right to charge a reasonable fee if our compliance with the request unreasonably consumes the resources of MessageMedia. In addition, we may refuse access to information in some circumstances in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles.
In order to access or change users information online, users are required to log in using their unique user name and password provided to them when establishing their MessageMedia account. In order for users to gain access to their personal information over the telephone via MessageMedia Support, users may be required to identify themselves via confirmation of the existing account details held by MessageMedia.
10. Overseas Disclosure
In some circumstances, we may provide personal information to overseas recipients. While we use Telstra, Optus and Vodafone as our principal carriers, if you have enabled international roaming and are travelling, these carriers will forward your message to the relevant international carrier in the country you are visiting to allow us to provide our service to you while you are overseas. If you have requested our Standard Rate (hybrid) SMS service then, so we can provide the service that you have requested, we may use an international service provider, and forward your message to third parties in Germany and/or the United Kingdom (which are governed by EU privacy laws).
12. Complaints or Questions
If you would like to access or correct your information please contact our Support team at:
Phone: 1800 155 228
Level 24, 367 Collins Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Phone: (03) 9600 0777
Fax: (03) 9602 5940
We will try to resolve issues as quickly as possible by responding to you by email, telephone or postal request. If we are unable to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction, you may contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.oaic.gov.au/ or call
1300 363 992.